Pima Acceptable Donations

Pima Acceptable Donations

Monday, October 8, 2018

Week 5 - Rescued Critters Food Drive

Hi Folks,

Raining Cats and Dogs Good for Cats and Dogs

In between showers and outbursts on Sunday, I was able to get around to each and every Miles participant and the results were surprising. We donated 9.4 lbs. of canned and dry dog and cat food. Add to that $56.75 in cash and one check. Apparently, folks are finding a donation of a dollar or two each week is easy on the cash flow ad quite easy to do.

Also, there was a donation of $275.00 from the sale of the black Chevy S10. Lee, our neighbor, suggested when I sell the pickup we donate the proceeds to Pima Animal Care Center. So, our total cash donation this week was $331.75. (See full story below.)


The Tale of One Cabriolet and Two Trucks

1987 Cabriolet Convertible
The success of One Can A Week was totally dependent on reliable transportation. When the Cabriolet started to fail, I alerted my participants, asking for suggestions. Lee, my neighbor and friend decided to give me her black, 1998 Chevy S10 pickup truck to collect the donations. Not only did that solve my mobility problems, our donations jumped to 1,000 lbs. per week on average because we now had the capacity to haul so much more food.

About two weeks into our new Rescued Critters Food Drive, the clutch on the 20-year-old  S10 begin to act up, staying in gear or in neutral whether the clutch was up or down. Lots of double clutching to be sure. In addition, the brakes were telling me they need attention, too. (Total repair bill … near $2,000. Nope!)

I called Lee to see if she would sell me her other S10 and she said she would give me that one, also, but I would have to wait until November 1st when she bought a new car.
 
1998 Chevy S10 Pickup Truck
Oh, boy, my old truck couldn’t last that long. Had to think of something else.

A Pertinent Detour
Larry, a friend and client, had his car in the shop and was dealing with Enterprise, the car rental company. On a recent visit to the rental office, he was shown a Nissen Rogue which he fell in love with, not to mention the price. Larry also learned Enterprise was founded by a group of sailors from the Enterprise, a sister ship to the carrier he served on during WWII as a submarine bomber pilot. That closed the deal.

On the day Larry bought the car I went with him. The folks at Enterprise really treated him well. In fact, they treated all of the other customers as well, too. I was impressed with how personable and friendly the atmosphere was. A month earlier Larry sold his VW convertible to CarMax. They were
Pull-A-Part bought the Chevy S10
for $275.00 which was then donated
to PACC per Lee’s direction.
quite professional and matter of fact. Guess that is why Enterprise stuck out in my mind.

At the end of our car-buying day, I had to take some paperwork back to Enterprise on my way home. As I walked into the showroom I got an idea and immediately headed for the manager’s office. Mr. Silva invited me in and I told him my two truck story and if he could help my friend Lee find her Kia Soul I could get my truck and press on with my community service. Mr. Silva smiled and said he would help. That night I sent Lee his contact information and crossed my fingers.
On October 1st, not November 1st, Lee sent me this happy email.

2002 Chevy S10 Pickup Truck
“hi peter
u can get the truck monday anytime after 9 am. … got a 2017 kia at enterprise. get it monday also.”

My email reply was happy, too. “Wonderful, the folks at Enterprise helped make our wishes come true.”

Guess the moral of this story is, if you are having car situations that are stressing you out, go to Enterprise on Speedway across the street from Whole Foods. It worked for me.



Enterprise, 3313 E. Speedway Blvd. Mr. Cruz Silva, Area Car Sales Manager, 520-319-8353 or 520-891-9264 (cell).

See you Sunday,

Peter 

No comments:

Post a Comment