Pima Acceptable Donations

Pima Acceptable Donations

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Week 34 - Rescued Critters Food Drive

Hi Folks,
Much More Than a Food Drive

Gina Hansen, PACC’s Volunteer Coordinator asked me to present the Rescued Critters Food Drive program to a couple of classes at Amphi Middle School last Thursday, April 25th. As I approached the front of the first class, Gina said I have 10 or 15 minutes to talk.

Twenty-five minutes later I was hurrying to end the presentation. What piqued everyone’s interest was the comment I made about Rescued Critter Food Drive being a community service program in addition to a pet food drive. Of course, I collect PACC donations on Sunday, but I also arranged for the city to fix 50-plus potholes recently and for TEP to fix six broken street lights around the neighborhood and then clean three very messy alleys with the help of Pat Tapia, Deputy Director of the Environmental & General Services Department.

In between classes, the teacher, Mrs. Coleman took me aside and asked how I did all those things because she was trying to clean up her neighborhood, too, but with little success. The first thing I asked her was, did she know her Ward Council Member? “No.” she replied. Interesting, because that person is the key to any successful neighborhood clean-up program.

You do all the paperwork and fill out all the forms and follow up dutifully with city contacts, but when things go too slowly or not at all, your Ward Council Member can move mountains. For years, I have worked very closely with Vice Mayor and Ward 5 Council Member Richard Fimbres, Mark Kerr, his Chief of Staff and Mary Fimbres, Richard’s wife. They make me an effective project manager without my having to get into a power struggle with the process.

Mrs. Coleman’s reaction to my comment about the Rescued Critters Food Drive being just one aspect of a comprehensive neighborhood management program gave me an idea. In the next few weeks, I am creating a how-to-handbook, if you will, on how to clean up and maintain a neighborhood. Names, numbers, request forms, city web links and the rationale behind filling potholes, picking up trash and speaking to folks without giving into frustration. There are 146 neighborhoods in Tucson that need help and the city is stepping up, so we’ve got to do the same.

Oh, and you’ll be happy to learn that Mrs. Coleman is talking to her people to implement the Rescued Critters Food Drive program at Amphi Middle School



This week we donated 113.3 lbs. of pet food and $126.73 in cash and two checks.

See you Sunday,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment