Pima Acceptable Donations

Pima Acceptable Donations

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Week 72 - Rescued Critters Food Drive

Hi Folks,
PACC Ahead of the Curve*
*Positioned to anticipate or initiate the latest developments in animal rescue.


For a couple of weeks now we have been talking about how PACC is reaching out to help pets in Tucson’s homeless community. Free food, booties, medical assistance, whatever it takes to keep the pets with their companions. In reality, this move stems the flow of surrendered pets at their front door. Remember, a surrendered pet costs $100 a day to maintain on site.

Just this week I learned first hand about another program PACC has initiated, ahead of the curve, as it were, with Santa Cruz Veterinary Clinic on S. 12th Avenue.

Steve, my friend on 13th Street, takes care of several cats, including a number of feral “fur balls,” as he calls them. One long-time fur ball called Mom started to show signs of an upper respiratory infection; sneezing, wheezing and constant runny nose.

I suggested we trap Mon and then I could take her to the Santa Cruz Vet Clinic for him. My newer, functioning trap helped to seal the deal. Sunday afternoon Steve brought Mom over and I housed her in my heated shed for the night. Eight o’clock Monday, Mom and I arrived at the clinic.

What a busy place that is at check-in time. People in front of the counter holding leads, people behind the counter clicking computer keys and moving papers in and out of clipboards and of course, animals all over the floor.

I moved carefully, covered trap in hand, to an open space at the far end of the counter and waited. Soon a medical assistant motioned me to come forward. Her first question was about spaying. I replied that the feral cat was already spayed but had some kind of lung infection. She told me that was okay and started to fill out a form on the clipboard. I noticed PACC TNR printed at the top of the form but I wasn’t sure why. I gave Steve’s info and explained she could call him for his credit card when it is time to pay.

She told me that would not be necessary. PACC takes care of feral cats for folks and there is no charge for spaying or other medical situations. The last thing she needed was my phone number so I could be called for pick up.

I was shaking my head a bit and blinking as I walked back to my truck. What just happened? It started when I walked in with that cage. Even with all those folks ahead of me, I got singled out and handled quickly.

As I drove north on Park toward Broadway, I finally figured it out. This is another Ahead of the Curve program at PACC.

Any feral cat in a trap gets fixed for free and cared for later if need be. It’s the trap that signals the response at Santa Cruz. Most folks don’t have traps. Most folks don’t get involved with TNR (Trap, Neuter and Return). But those who do have such traps become one of PACC’s primary markets just as homeless folks have. Really smart thinking on PACC’s part.

Have Feral Cats?

Of course you do, every neighborhood in Tucson has them. So here’s what you do. Buy a trap or two at Harbor Freight on 22nd and Craycroft. They cost a whopping $20 bucks each. Then when you trap a cat, take it to Santa Cruz Veterinary Clinic at 5408 S. 12th Avenue, 520.889.9643. Everything will be taken care of for you and in no time you and the fixed cat will be home … you making meals for the cat and the cat not making any more kittens for you.


More Information on the Santa Cruz Veterinary Clinic

Bennett at PACC told me about Santa Cruz when Haley had a problem with a cherry eye, the third eyelid popping out of the corner of her left eye. The surgery was done quickly and inexpensively. They were also very professional. That made them my new vet.

Location: 5408 S. 12th Avenue
Take Park or Kino to Irvington. Turn right on Irvington to 12th Avenue. Turn left and look for Ace Hardware in a strip mall on the right. Santa Cruz is next door. Yes, it is a drive, but the care and professionalism you and your pet will receive is well worth the trip.

Telephone: 520.889.9643
Even as busy as they are, they answer the phone. If you have to leave a message, they do get back to you.

Check out their fee schedule which amazingly is posted online. Here’s one: Office Exam and Consultation fee - $35.00. The other thing is they treat so many pets, their medical skills are honed every day.  


This week’s donation was 273.9 lbs. of pet food and $69.60 in cash and two checks. The dollars translate to 77.3 lbs. of food.  Together they add up to 351.2 lbs. of pet food.

Also we donated 2 covered cat litter bins (see truck roof), 2 bags of Beggin strips, 2 Bark chews, 1 food container, 5 dog collars and 1 lead.

See you Sunday,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment