Pima Acceptable Donations

Pima Acceptable Donations

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Week 83 - Rescued Critters Food Drive

Hi Folks,

With Six Months to Go, 
We Only Need 1,434.1 lbs.
to Beat Last Year's Goal

We donated 8,194.0 lbs. of food to PACC in our first year. We just completed our second quarter of our second year and we have already donated a whopping 6,759.9 lbs. With everything going on in the world, PACC is experiencing a significant increase in the number of pets falling under its care. We are really helping PACC meet this new challenge.

SECOND QUARTER WEEKLY RESULTS

Thank you very much, you are making a huge difference in pet rescue in Tucson.

Meet Oscar, Our New Friend at PACC
That’s Oscar and our food is on either side of the room
 … cat food on the right and dog food on the left. 
This week there were no sentries when I drove up to the gated entrance to PACC, only a sign with phone numbers to call. I tried one and was told to leave a message and I would be called back in 24 – 48 hours.

The parking lot was nearly empty and there were only a few people moving between the Clinic and Adoption Center doors some 50 yards away. What to do?  I needed time to think anyway, so I just sat there hoping to catch someone’s attention. About l0 minutes in to this quandary, a staffer in a red PACC shirt saw me and walked across the parking lot and up to gate. His name was Oscar and he was not aware of our weekly deliveries and that the food is now stored in the conference room, but he was obliging.

I began to unload the truck and by the time I got the first wheel barrow load to the conference room, Oscar had opened the doors from the inside. Then he was off to do other things. Two wheel barrow trips later he was back and we stopped to chat and take a photo.

I learned that the staff has been divided into essential and non-essential, with Bennett, our old friend and contact, falling on the latter list. Is he okay? Does he need income? I need his personal contact information, can you get that for me?

I could see Kristen, the executive director on an animated video conference call near the Adoption Center doors so she could not be disturbed. Oscar said he would talk to her about our conversation and get me the information I requested.

After climbing back into the cab and shutting the door, I sat for a few minutes contemplating what just happened. This virus things is really closing in on everyone. Then I remembered the lady who interrupted our chat in the conference room. She had a stray pup she brought to PACC and she wanted someone to take care of the dog immediately. My first thought was she must have tailgated someone through the security gate.

Oscar told her she has to call to make an appointment as the sign on the gate states. She became more instant telling us she drove a long way to get to PACC.

“This is a crisis, and a very dangerous situation,” I interjected through my red mask. “You must leave and call for an appointment to keep everyone safe.”

“I guess this is how it has to be,” she replied as she turned and left the conference room. I apologized to Oscar for jumping in on the conversation but he didn’t mind.

People have been living this dilemma for weeks now and they still only think of themselves. That, too, is dangerous.

Ready to leave, I put the truck in gear and then I saw Oscar signal to me to wait a minute. As he got close he told me through my open window that Kristen was still on the call but he gave all of my info to her assistant who will contact me soon with Bennett’s information.

As I wound up the driveway and drove through the electrical gate to the stoplight I was already thinking about what might happen next week. Well, at least I now have Oscar to help me through whatever comes up because he’s on duty every Monday.


This week’s donation was 324.9 lbs. lbs. of pet food and $35.00 in two check. In addition, there was 1 small pet bowl and 1 dog collar.

Our cash donation is no longer handed directly to a CSR on a computer who issues a receipt. The money is now placed in an envelope with our account number on it and given to the person who checks me in. (See clipboard above.) Haven’t received an official receipt yet for our last donation, but that may happen soon since Oscar will intervene for us.   

Be Safe and See you Sunday,

Peter






No comments:

Post a Comment