Pima Acceptable Donations

Pima Acceptable Donations

Monday, March 11, 2019

Week 27 - Rescued Critters Food Drive


Hi Folks,

African Daises                          30 lbs. of Cat Food

Lots of people know Armando, but more know about and are intrigued by his prolific African Daisy garden which covers the corner of S. Highland Avenue and E. 13th Street every spring and summer. This year, for some reason, those colorful flowers have spread across the street and way down the block. And now they have a stronghold in my alley between Highland and Vine because I planted more than a score of seedlings last year.

My friend Steve who lives on the corner of S. Vine and 13th Street asked me in January to help him start his own garden of African Daisies. To oblige, I gave him a planter box with 50 seedlings which he promptly planted.

The weather has not been pleasant for the past two month but fortunately these daisies are quite hardy and Steve’s garden took hold. So much so he was motivated to return the favor and give me a 30 lb. bag of cat food for PACC.

A week earlier my friend Marci, who lives on E. 12th Street above S. Cherry, asked me about the African Daisies because she walks her Boston Terrier through my alley now and again. Well, this past Sunday, I gave her a bunch of seeds and planted a couple of thriving plants outside her front door. And more seedlings are on the way to her if we can ever get the sun to hang around.

If anyone else would like to start your own African Daisy garden just let me know. In about a week I will have at least 80 seedling to give away. In fact, I can even help you plant them which is a very simple task.

The care and feeding of African Daisies is as easy as caring for a Pet Rock, if you remember those days. Plant the seedlings, water lightly now and again and just stand back to watch them grow … slowly at first. At the end of the season, you tear out the dead flowers and then early next spring you will observe seedlings growing all by themselves. It really is that easy.

So when you see me on Sunday, let’s talk Daisies in the Miles Neighborhood. I know you will be as pleased as Steve and that is really good for PACC.


Daisies Make the Difference


This week we donated 45.4 lbs. of pet food, 5 bullies sticks, a bag of soft chews and $61.25 in cash and one check.

See you Sunday,

Peter


No comments:

Post a Comment