Pima Acceptable Donations

Pima Acceptable Donations

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Week 29 - Rescued Critters Food Drive

Hi Folks,
PACC Opens the Door
to a Better Neighborhood

After talking pointedly about Pima Animal Care Center and the needs of their 17,000 charges for the past 28 week, suddenly lots of simmering ideas in the neighborhood came to life this weekend. Folks were now conversing with me about cleaning allies and turning one into a butterfly sanctuary, free spay and neuter clinics, clearing walkways beside two large homes and planting African Daisies in the gardens of three other homes.


Then Betsy on 13th Street and her son, Ed told me about a social entrepreneurship grant they are writing to fund a tree planting program throughout the Miles Neighborhood. I told them I would gladly introduce them to all the neighbors … for them, the most difficult aspect of their program … but so easy for me.

Well, none of the conversations were really just talk. By Monday noon all three allies were cleaned and ready for a brisk weed-whacking. That will happen Tuesday. 


For years I have been talking about clean allies so I cleaned my alley. That stopped my immediate neighbors from tossing stuff over the walls. I also requested those big green roll offs every six months. Again, nary a word from anyone, but the roll offs always left the neighborhood nearly filled to the brim. When it came to folks placing huge items like stoves or mattresses wherever or whenever they pleased, I quietly took care of those.

What suddenly changed? It has to be PACC and the joy folks feel inside when they donate every week to feed the dogs and cats and rabbits. That warm feeling took 28 weeks to ware down their protective shields to a point where they could say, “Hey, I need a little help with something that bugs me.” But the best part is they are now staying connected and continue to help right back.

Imagine if one person in each of the 130 neighborhoods in Tucson started to collect donations for Pima Animal Care Center. This would be one fine community service city in 28 weeks. And no hungry rescues anywhere.


We donated lots of leashes, food bowls, harnesses, collars, a Smurf hat, 42.6 lbs. of pet food and $58.90 in cash and two checks.

See you Sunday,


Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment