Pima Acceptable Donations

Pima Acceptable Donations

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Week 39-Rescued Critters Food Drive

Hi Folks,
Asking for help makes for
very safe neighborhood


When I moved into the Miles Neighborhood at the start of 2003, there were a lot of homeless living in the wash and traipsing the neighborhood daily. Not a secure situation but we all just lived with it.

About a year after I founded One Can A Week in 2009, Bill Richards, the then president of the Miles Neighborhood Association, introduced me to Maen Mdanat, the new owner of the Axis Food Mart one Sunday afternoon. We hit it off right from the beginning because he was incredibly sincere.

In the next few months we had lots of conversations and I got an idea. I asked Maen if he could help me clean up the neighborhood and get rid of the problem customers, those that slept and drank in the alley; the panhandlers, too.

Turns out, Maen was in the Jordanian Army and was trained for such assignments. Click on the link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktr_XzKdJEU)

On my side of the bargain, I helped Maen put in a scanner and increase the number of women customers by about 90%. In those early days, few women came to the store because there was always a chance of harassment. I may have brought up the subject, but Maen solved the problem with his charming personality and scores of verbal and physical smack downs. 


On my side of the bargain, I helped Maen put in a scanner and increase the number of women customers by about 90%. In those early days, few women came to the store because there was always a chance of harassment. I may have brought up the subject, but Maen solved the problem with his charming personality and scores of verbal and physical smack downs.

Next, I learned about the Environmental Services’ roll-off program—not sure how, though—and since there was no Miles Neighborhood Association president at the time—I got 10 neighbor signatures and we were good to go.

As days passed, I fixed the potholes a number of times, worked with Vice Mayor and Ward 5 Council Member Richard Fimbres to help get the attention of folks at Tucson Department of Transportation and Environmental Services. There was always a backlog of some sort, but he and Mark Kerr, his Chief of Staff, were able to move Miles to the head of the line.

Recently, I met Pat Tapia, Deputy Director, Environmental and General Services Department, and the word “clean-up” became a key element in the safety of the Miles Neighborhood. Both Environmental Services and the Tucson Police Department make it known that “A clean neighborhood is a safe neighborhood,” and they are doing everything in their power to help.

You may have noticed lately that piles of trash such as mattresses, tires, furniture, etc. disappear quickly. That is Pat’s doing. When I see piles anywhere in Miles, I take a photo and send Pat an email explaining the situation. Within 24-48 hours his team picks it up. By the way, the mattress and small dresser on S. Martin will be disappeared by Wednesday.

Right now, with Pat’s help, we have cleaned up alleys for Josie and Lee and those alleys are staying that way. Folks even stop my weed whacking to thank me.

On May 31st, I published a 13-page guide explaining how one person who really loves his or her neighborhood can make things very clean and safe. You just have to talk to folks and ask for help.

For a copy of the guide, please email pnorback@cox.net. I am hoping you have friends in another neighborhood who may want to make a big change, too. So, just pass it forward. And thanks.




This week we donated 18.7 lbs. of pet food and $61.20 in cash and two checks.

See you Sunday,

Peter


1 comment: