Pima Acceptable Donations

Pima Acceptable Donations

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Week 78 - Rescued Critters Food Drive

Hi Folks,
A Matter of Jurisdiction
On Sunday, Sarah, my neighbor on 12th Street, asked me if I had seen the homeless encampment at the fringe of the Arroyo Chico Park near 12th and Fremont. I had not and wasn’t looking for one since the arroyo was cleaned up by the police a few weeks ago.

Our conversation then turned to a friend of hers who was trying to help a homeless person get shots and neutering services for a Pit Bull puppy she found.

After my rounds I sent Sarah information on free clinics in March and contact information for Liana Moss at PACC who helps run the homeless outreach program.

On my way back from delivering our donations to PACC today, I turned on Fremont, drove to the curve on 12th and stopped. It didn’t take me long to spot the encampment. It was a massive mess of bikes, tarps and furniture about 75 yards across the drainage ditch.  

The red arrow in the photo indicates the location of the homeless
encampment. Even at 75 years, one can see the magnitude of
the mess.
From my experience years ago with homeless camps in the arroyo, I knew one has to call the police to force folks to leave. Soon after I arrived home I sent Sarah another email asking if she or someone else contacted the police. Nope, and she would appreciate it if I made the call. She closed with “Thank you for your vigilante, Sarah.”

Two minutes later Sarah sent another email saying, “Oops, Vigilance!”

Got the joke, but I realize folks are often hesitant to step up and face that confrontational tension. I experience that same uncertain feeling every time I have to confront an issue. But to tell you the truth, I dislike even more how I feel when folks mess with my neighborhood.

Closeup of the homeless encampment that appeared about
4 days ago.
After lunch I called the police. Had to tell my story three times and identify myself three times to three different people … two police personnel and one City staffer.

The 911 operator passed me over to the non-emergency desk. She took down all the information and located the encampment on a map. Then I was transferred to Tucson Customer Service (520) 791-3202. This is where the whole process came together for me.

If there is just a mess, I can do what I always do. Take a photograph and send the information to Pat Tapia at Environmental Services. If there are homeless folks involved I have to start with the police. But it would be very helpful if I take photographs and send them to Pat who is part of the team in these situations.

In our many conversations, Pat told me that the Environmental Services Department and the Tucson Police Department know for sure that “a clean neighborhood is a safe neighborhood.” That’s a fact but I didn’t see the actual connection of the two departments … until now.


This week’s donation was 305.1 lbs. of pet food and $11.00 in cash and one check. In addition, there were 2 bags of treats, 1 roll of bags, 1 small diaper, and 17 pill bottles. (Special note: dog food is in the large white bags.)

See you Sunday,

Peter 

No comments:

Post a Comment